Friday, September 25, 2009

Maine

I just returned from a vacation at my parents' home in Maine, where I was born and raised. I only wish I could have stayed longer!


I suppose most people think of lobster boats when they think of Maine ... I know I do.


These boats ply the waters in the many bays along the rugged coast dotted with islands, and even venture rather far from land in the cold Gulf of Maine.


Maine's granite foundation was first scoured by glaciers and is now worn relentlessly by the actions of the tides and waves, and the rough rock becomes cobblestones in some places.

In other areas, the rock meets the sea and is overgrown by rockweed and barnacles.

The first signs of autumn were evident, but the weather was still full of the warmth of summer.


This is the view of Mount Desert Island, home to Acadia National Park, from Sorrento. Cadillac Mountain is the highest point on the eastern seaboard.

The Black-capped Chickadee is the State Bird for Maine. Their cheerful call is heard everywhere.

I paid to go on a whale watching voyage, and we were rewarded with sightings like this Pilot Whale that came right up to the boat ... along with about 44 others in the pod.

1 comment:

Bill S. said...

Beautiful pictures. I'll bet you loved hiking there. I would love to explore the islands!!!! Thanks.