Saturday, May 11, 2013

Discover Something

I'm spending some of my time participating in a project to classify space photographs, called Galaxy Zoo.



Today I "discovered" this beautiful spiral galaxy with a bar feature.  (OK, not really, other people have seen it, too.  But, it is possible to be the first person to view and help categorize some of these images.  I know somebody else has seen this one because they added it to their library of favorite images, just as I did when I saw it.  What a beauty!)
Don't like astronomy?  There are similar projects where you can assist with cancer research, transcribe museum records, do climate research, map the surface of the moon, or look for space warps (gravitational lenses).  If you like science, you'll love Zooniverse, found at https://www.zooniverse.org/.




No comments: