Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Orion Nebula and Lunar Eclipse

The astronomy bug has me in its grasp!  I awoke from a sleep to watch the total lunar eclipse.



I observed some features on my camera that I had not fully explored, and aimed at the Orion Nebula.  This would be the middle "star" in the sword that hangs from Orion's belt.  I was pleased to observe the results, and hope you enjoy them as well.  You can see this yourself on a dark night with the naked eye.  If you have binoculars or a telescope, all the better.



If you don't have a dark sky, you'll be denied the opportunity to see this and other celestial wonders.  Lights should be shielded and downcast to avoid wasting energy and to preserve the beauty of our environment.  I also observed a couple of galaxies, the Pleiades and Beehive Cluster, Jupiter, Leo, Gemini, Cancer, and Taurus.  Two meteors streaked across the heavens as well.

No comments: