Saturday, July 11, 2009

If at first you don't succeed ...

Those who follow this blog will recall the wingtip of the Black-throated Sparrow I showed in the previous post. The Black-throated Sparrow really is an attractive bird, so I was disappointed not to get a better image.

I told my birder friends about the sighting, and was told that they found the birds and a nest. The pair of Black-throated Sparrows were busy gathering food for their young about to fledge.

Armed with the knowledge that the birds would very likely still be in the area, I was compelled to go back.

The Jackrabbit was still there, along with many relatives. This time it posed further away from the broken bottle. I also saw Horned Lizard and heard a pack of Coyotes calling in the distance.


The rock formations in the area were surreal. This one reminded me of some animal skull.


The Common Nighthawk were flying overhead, and when two of them would approach one another, one would make a roaring noise. I'm unsure of the mechanism, but it reminded me of a toy I had as a kid, a flat blade attached to a string that, when whirled around, made a loud roaring noise. I think it was airflow past feathers that vibrated, but I'll research this more when I find time.


The sun was getting lower on the horizon and a couple of bats appeared as well.


And there they were! A pair of the Black-throated Sparrows.


Shortly after that the sunset colors lit up the sky and it was time to head home.


On the way home, a pair of young Coyotes ran down the road in front of the car, at times pausing, turning, and looking at me as I stopped and waited for them to get out of the road. Other than their big ears, they looked like a pair of puppies to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't realise how pretty black throated sparrows are...no wonder you wanted to see them. Love the rock formations, they're almost surreal.